Thursday, May 2, 2013

day two: an education...

Day 2, Thursday: Educate us on something you know a lot about or are good at.

This post is going to be super lame, because I can't think of anything that I would say I know a lot about, or am really good at... but, I've been making a lot of salads lately, because of my diet, and I make a MEAN salad!

So... I'm going to teach you guys how to make a sweet salad!

I like to have chicken in my salad, so, i'll start off by telling you guys how I make my chicken.   I find the chicken absorbs a lot of the salad dressing that you choose to use, so I don't go all crazy spicing up my chicken...

Set the oven to 375, and preheat on bake.
Take one boneless, skinless chicken breast, and cut it through the thickest part so that it lays pretty flat... kinda like butterflying?

Hurray for using culinary terms you have no idea about!

Line a baking sheet with tin foil, and place the chicken breast on the tinfoil, as flat as possible.
Sprinkle with ground pepper, seasoning salt, onion powder, and garlic powder.  (I like to use the onion powder and garlic powder rather liberally, no one gets away with fancy, minty breath in this house!)
Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.

Now for the salad!

I like to use baby mixed greens, or field greens and herbs... you know, those pre-packaged lettuce mixes... because they give you a nice mix of greenery, without having to buy 30 types of lettuce yourself.  So, step one would be to get yourself one of those boxes of greenery.  Whichever you like!  I'm not a fan of the bitter greens, myself.  Choose something organic to make yourself feel good about life :P

Cut the stem ends off of two tomatoes, and then cut the delish tomato bits off from around the stem, put that in a big bowl.
Cut each tomato into three thick slices, then cut each slice across three times, and then crosswise three times, so you end up with 16 chunks from each slice... throw that in your bowl.  I use two tomatoes because, let's be honest, tomatoes are fuckin' delicious.

Cut the end off of a cucumber, swirl the cut sides of the cucumber together for good luck (I'm serious, do that shit.). 
Cut the cucumber in half, and then cut that half into deliciously thin cucumber slices; throw those bad boys in the bowl.

Open up a bag of sugar snap peas, take out half of the peas, and break them in half, and throw them into the bowl.

Cut one side off of a yellow, or red, pepper, then cut the icky seeds out of the pepper (you can throw those away, or grown your own damn pepper tree with them... peppers grow on trees, right?  Someone Google that shit for me!).  Cut your pepper into slices, then cut those slices into chunks, and then throw them into the bowl.

If you want a little extra pizzazz, take three green onion stalks, cut them into really thin slices, and throw those in the bowl, too!  I usually do this but I have been off onions as of late.

Now for my favourite ingredient!  Strawberries!  Seriously, wash a pint of these delicious bastards, cut off the tops of half of them, cut each berry into three slices, and then throw those into the bowl, too!

The next step is to hold the bowl over your counter, and toss the salad with a circular motion, so that all the fruits and veggies get good and mixed up.

I keep the lettuce in the container it comes in, put some on my plate, and then top with a generous helping of our fruit and veggie mixture.

Oh!  Remember to take your chicken out of the oven after thirty minutes!  I then slice it up really thin, and let it cool down for a bit.

Once your chicken is cooled down, sprinkle it over top of your salad, and then top with your favourite dressing.  I've really been feeling the calorie wise ranch dressing as of late!  Who knew strawberries and ranch dressing would taste good together?

Remember to not use too much dressing, it's not all that good for you!  I'm trying to keep you lovely readers healthy, after all!

Well, I hope you enjoyed this salad recipe, and that you'll give it a try!  For an added bit of deliciousness, try it with some crumbled feta on top!

That's all for today!

Toodles, lovelies!


No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave me some love <3