Saturday, May 4, 2013

day four: recycled words...

Day 4, Saturday: Favorite quote (from a person, from a book, etc) and why you love it.

Okay, well, I don't necessarily consider quotes to be "recycled words" entirely... I just needed to come up with something snappy to call this post!

I would have to say that one of my most favourite quotes is "where we love is home," from "Homesick in Heaven," a lovely poem by Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

The poem is about three spirits in heaven who long for a specific person (a child, a lover, a father) that they have left behind in their former lives, and the angel that assures them that he is all three of their left behind people, in spirit.  He informs them that not even heaven could allow them to see their left behind people again, and he urges them to return to the Earth and build new lives, and find new love.

Anyway!  Enough of the English major business...

I love the line "where we love is home," because I consider myself kind of a restless spirit when it comes to settling in one place... I kind of move around a lot.  But this quote assures me that, though I may not always have a "home," because I travel so much, that where my heart lies will always be my home.  I see this as saying that you will always find home in the things and places and people that are important to you.

I've actually designed a tattoo around this quote, that I hope to get done someday!


Another of my favourite quotes, which I have tattooed around my wrist, is "Love like you have never been hurt," from "Get Fighted," as song by Alexisonfire (my favourite band).  Oddly enough, I got this before experiencing an abusive relationship, but I felt like they were important words to live by, and I embrace them to this day.  Despite being hurt in every way possible when I was in my relationship with Rick, I've put that in my past, and I approached by every relationship after that with a fresh slate.  I was more CAREFUL, of course, but I didn't hold grudges that weren't fair for other people to bare.


Another favourite quote that I want to get tattooed on myself is "stay gold" from The Outsiders by S.E.  Hinton.  It's a reminder to retain that youthful innocence... to not get jaded... and it's also one of my favourite books!  I want to get "stay" tattooed on one foot and "gold" tattooed on the other, up by my ankles, in a fancy, scrawly, pretty script.

Well, that's all I can think of for now.  I KNOW the prompt for the day only said A QUOTE, but I love all three of these, so I couldn't narrow it down :)  Hope you had fun reading this!

Toodles, lovelies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave me some love <3