Sunday, May 23, 2010

dancing for votes...

This weekend was a nice weekend.  It was relaxed and I had a lot of me time, which was nice, because I generally spend my weekends doing a lot of things.  I'm not going to complain about all of the stuff I find myself doing, because, honestly, after the past few years of not really doing much, it feels nice to... have a life?  But it also feels nice to have some time for oneself.  Also, there was some baking, roof relaxation in the sun, and spending some time with good friends involved! <3

So, Yeosu is having some sort of election, and it is coming up soon, resulting in some very noisy  noisiness around where I live.  Mipyeong-dong is generally pretty damn quiet and laid back (other than the fact that I live right by the university, and that means that all of the drunk university kids come out of the woodwork at night with their crying and yelling and singing and talking loudly.  Saying this makes me feel old... I used to be one of those kids, and it makes me sad that I'm now older than those kids.).  Anyways, I think campaigning works a lot different in Korea than it does in Canada.  For starters, the politicians put themselves wayyy out there.  As in, sometimes you see them standing in traffic wearing a big yellow or green sash and bowing at passing cars.  If -I- did that, I think it would become a good ol' fashioned Korean game of run over the foreigner.  Another different, the dancing.  Yes, you heard me right, dancing.  All this week the politicians have been sending out roving dance crews armed with mini trucks with not so mini sound systems.  There's choreography, there's matching dance outfits, there's big white gloves.  I'm not sure if who you vote for is actually based on their platform, or if it's like the Miss Universe pageant, sure your "if you could change one thing about the world, what would it be" speech counts for some of the grade, but your dancing and bowing skills also come into play.  And who could forget the swimsuit competition!

I'm going to maybe try and start incorporating pictures into this blog, if I can figure out how... I am not as blog savvy as I would prefer to be.  Oh, wait... I just figured it out.  Heh, I'm glad you were all here for that conversation.


My little monsters!  These are the kids from my after school class.  The class has changed a bit, some of the kids left and I gained some more.  I'll try and get an updated picture soon.  The little boy in the center of the picture who looks like he's doing work is one of my favorites.  I somehow managed to capture with my camera the one time this kid has EVER done work.  He's a little terror, but he's cute as hell.

I think when I get paid next week I am going to order an oven.  I miss not having one.  It'll just be a small oven, not like a real kitchen sized one.  They're only about $70 Canadian, can't really go wrong!  And, a baking adventure at Annie's apatuh this weekend has proven just how deliciously useful an oven is.  Brownies and fresh baked bread!  Mmmm mmmm.

I made lasagna this weekend... on the stove top!  Who knew it was possible!  It didn't have the delicious crusty baked cheese taste of oven lasagna, but, really, it was delicious.  I was impressed with myself.

I feel kind of sad having to go back to school tomorrow.  A longer holiday would have been super fab.  But, hey, summer is coming up soon!  The next few weeks will be filled with some fun stuff!  Taking the Seoul train with Annie (Seoul adventure, I'm so excited!  The only time I've been to Seoul is when I first got here, and that doesn't count!), and another Wando beach party (and who can say no to Wando?!  It's so beautiful there!).

Well, I am going to go reheat some delicious stove top lasagna and continue to relax until it's time to go to sleep and get rested up for another school day!

Toodles!

2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled upon your blog - and have decided that I can't wait to hear more about your adventures. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your stories with those of us who aren't cool enough to do what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, thank you! I appreciate your appreciation!

    ReplyDelete

please leave me some love <3